Health Justice CT

Health Justice CT Blog

Health Disparities Round-Up – December 27, 2013

HealthCare NewsJust in case you missed it, here’s some of the latest health disparities news, posts and reports from this past week.

Westfair Online: Top 5 questions on the Affordable Care Act – “A former executive at General Electric, Oster says the list of inefficiencies throughout the health care industry is endless. But now that her son’s illness is in remission, Oster is on a mission to help others navigate the health care “minefield,” using her business and leadership skills. She’s held three dozen talks to more than 1,000 Fairfield County residents and in January, her book, “Questioning Protocol: An Empowering Toolkit and Personal Memoir,” will be published. With the Affordable Care Act slowly taking hold, Oster has shared with the Business Journal the top five questions she most often hears.” >> Read More

CTLatinoNews.com: Access Health CT – A Slow Start In Reaching Latinos – “Latinos make up 25% of Access Health CT’s target group for enrollment in the health exchange, and with today, December 23rd as the first of the enrollment deadlines, there is no clear indication of how successful the state’s health exchange has been in enrolling Latinos and its CEO candidly admits, their effort to reach Latinos started months after the general campaign began in July. Access Health CT, Connecticut’s state health exchange was created under the Affordable Health Care Act, also known as Obamacare.  Nationally, it has had numerous problems, and while Connecticut has been mentioned as one of the more successful programs, it’s still hampered by federal glitches.” >> Read More

the ct mirror: 62,153 people signed up for Obamacare coverage by first deadline –“ As of midnight Tuesday, 62,153 Connecticut residents had signed up for coverage as part of the federal health law commonly known as Obamacare, according to figures from Access Health CT, the state’s health insurance exchange. Access Health CEO Kevin Counihan said that Monday, the final day for people to enroll in insurance plans that start Jan. 1, was “by far the biggest day we’ve ever had,” with more than 6,600 people signing up. Overall, about 55 percent of enrollees are purchasing private insurance while the other 45 percent will receive Medicaid.” >> Read More

Reuters: The painful path to Obamacare deadline – “Tuesday is a moment of truth for Obamacare. It marks the final deadline for most Americans to sign up for health insurance under President Barack Obama’s 2010 Affordable Care Act, popularly known as Obamacare, if they want coverage starting on January 1. If enough people – and the right mix of young and old – do not enroll, the ambitious program designed to provide health benefits to millions of uninsured and under-insured Americans risks eventually unraveling. The deadline caps a turbulent roll-out this year for Obamacare and the HealthCare.gov website that is key to enrolling millions of people in the initiative. The website crashed upon its launch on October 1, frustrating users trying to shop for insurance plans. It now is functioning much better, but is still not at 100 percent.” >> Read More

NBC Connecticut Health Connections: No Extension on Connecticut Health Insurance Exchange – “Connecticut residents signing up for insurance on the state health care exchange still must enroll by midnight Monday in order to receive coverage by January 1. On Monday, the White House announced a one-day extension for those signing up through the federal website, Healthcare.gov. It gives people signing up on the national sight until midnight on Tuesday to enroll.” >> Read More

Image Credit: iStock Photo

About Gina Hernandez

Gina Hernandez is a Program Director at the Society for New Communications Research and has worked 7+ years in the digital communications field. Prior to joining the Society for New Communications Research, Gina worked at re: Imagine group, where she where she led media and blogger outreach and agency research.

This entry was posted in Health News Round-Up and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.